This qualification reflects the role of workers in a range of early childhood education settings who work within the requirements of the Education and Care Services National Regulations and the National Quality Standard. They support the implementation of an approved learning framework, and support children’s wellbeing, learning and development. Depending on the setting, educators may work under direct supervision or autonomously.
One Hundred (100) weeks including Twenty Eight (28) weeks holidays
Pathways from the qualification
Students can further their studies in a range of other higher education courses, such as:
- Bachelor of Early Childhood
- Master of Teaching (Birth to 12 years old)
- Direct entry into 2nd year of Bachelor of Education (Birth to 5 years) at the Charles Sturt University.*
* Completion of this course does not guarantee applicants a place in CSU.
Job roles and titles may vary across early childhood settings. Upon successful completion of CHC50113 a person could seek employment opportunities in roles such as;
• Early Childhood Educator
• Family day care educator
• Preschool assistant
• Nanny or in home care educator
• Room leaders
• Nominated or authorised supervisor for a centre under 29 children
• be 18 years or older; and
• have completed Year 11 or its equivalent with suitable English language skills.
International Students are also required to have an English ability at the IELTS 5.5 or equivalent.
• A working with children check is required for work placement and for gaining employment
Working with Children Check
Due to the mandatory work placement requirement, students wish to study CHC30113 will be required to undergo and satisfy Working with Children Checks. This should be done during orientation so that approval is provided prior to the first industry placement
The program uses a variety of methods to provide a rich and engaging learning experience for learners.
- Face-to-face Study- Students will be attending classes for 15 hours per week
- Work Placement- Students’ enrolled in the CHC30113 Certificate III in Early Childhood Education and Care are required to participate in a minimum of 375 hours practical placement within an accredited early childhood education and care service. Student will commence their work placement as soon as possible after the course commencement following orientation by the workplace supervisor (within the first two weeks). Times Academy will engage with the nominated workplace to ensure that it can provide a suitable environment to gather practical experience across all tasks outlined in the units of competency. Times Academy will complete a Work place suitability assessment prior to placement with the nominated workplace and coordinate with the service to ensure the student is orientation and inducted properly into the workplace and that the workplace meets the requirements of the training package.
- Unsupervised/self-Study- Students need to allocate between 10 to 15 hours of self-study time per week to enhance their understanding. A maximum of 15 hours of self-study should be sufficient for an average student to grasp the learning content and complete the Personal Research Task and Reflection Journal.
- Playgroup planning and supervising – For 2 hours per week, children from 0-5 years old come to Times Academy for a playgroup registered with Play Groups NSW. It is a time to have practical hands-on teaching and care experiences for our trainees under supervision. This engages students in practical learning and assessment in a controlled environment.
This qualification is made up of eighteen(fifteen core and three elective units) units of competency are
|CHCLEG001 Work legally and ethically
CHCECE009 Use an approved learning framework to guide practice
|CHCECE001 Develop cultural competence
CHCDIV002 Promote Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander cultural safety
|HLTAID004 Provide an emergency first aid response in an education and care setting||1 weeks|
|CHCECE002 Ensure the health and safety of children
CHCPRT001 Identify and respond to children and young people at risk
|CHCECE005 Provide care for babies and toddler
CHCECE003 Provide care for children
CHCECE004 Promote and provide healthy food and drinks
|HLTWHS003 Maintain work health and safety
CHCECE016 Establish and maintain a safe and healthy environment for children
|CHCECE007 Develop positive and respectful relationships with children||2 weeks|
|CHCPOL403C Undertake research activities
CHCPOL002 Develop and implement policy
CHCECE019 Facilitate compliance in an education and care services
|CHCMGT003 Lead the work team
CHCECE025 Embed sustainable practices in service operations
|CHCECE017 Foster the holistic development and wellbeing of the child in early childhood
CHCECE018 Nurture creativity in children
|CHCECE020 Establish and implement plans for developing cooperative behaviour
CHCECE022 Promote children’s agency
CHCECE021 Implement strategies for the inclusion of all children
|CHCECE023 Analyse information to inform learning
CHCECE026 Work in partnership with families to provide appropriate education and care for children
CHCECE024 Design and implement the curriculum to foster children’s learning and development
|CHCORG627B Provide mentoring support to colleagues
CHCPRP003 Reflect on and improve own professional practice